Sunday, June 13, 2010

It is so not our year - for medical business that is.

Yup, you guessed it.  We got to visit the hospital...... again.  This time, it was Dav...again.  He was put in the hospital on Thursday night due to MRSA Staph Infection.  Monday I noticed he was getting a staph sore.  I totally know what they look like, since we have had about 7 of them since Brennen's burn.  So I gave Dav some medicine they gave us to have on hand.  I guess once your a carrier you are pretty prone to get it.  Obviously we're a little more prone than others.  Anyways I started him on the medicine Monday night and Tuesday morning he was covered in hives the the sore didn't look any different.  I gave him some benadryl and continued with the medicine on Tuesday.  The day I noticed the one on my foot.  Yea, lovely.   Wednesday it wasn't getting better and benadryl and zyrtec weren't clearing up the hives so I took him to the doctor.  They took one look at it and clearly identified it as staph.  However, this one was a little worse than the ones we've seen at our house.  So then they popped it and took a culture to see if it was MRSA, which is the more dangerous kind of staph.  He changed the antibiotic because he thought the one he was on, bactrum, was causing the hives.  He checked my foot and I had staph on it but it wasn't as bad as Dav's and clearly not the same kind as his.  So he wrote us both out prescriptions.  Thursday, the hives were gone so I knew it was from the bactrum.  I went to work and got a call around noon that the results came back and it was MRSA.  I took Dav back out there to have it looked at again.  Dr. Oakden couldn't decide exactly what route to take.  MRSA is resistant to alot of medication and it was resistant to the one he was currently taking.  However, the main antibiotic they use for MRSA is bactrum.  But since Dav had broke out when he was on it they couldn't give it to him because it could end up causing another serious skin disease.  So he called a skin and infectious disease doctor to see what medicine they should give him.  The decided to try another oral antibiotic.  So, I went and got it filled and tried to give it to him.  I have the worldest gaggiest(sp?) child! He seriously can get a funny taste and just puke it up.  So he did that when I gave him the medicine.  3 times.  So I called back out there telling them I couldn't get him to take it and the decided to put him in the hospital because we couldn't let it go longer.  So I took him out around 8:30p.m. and they admitted him.  The IV's and blood draws were horrible.  I felt so bad for him.  They got a good IV in his arm and started vancomycin.  Vanco is used as a last resort drug and is like comparing a cannon ball to a gun.  Around 3:30 we noticed it leaking out.  So they tried to fix it but Dav was screaming and 5 of us couldn't hold him down enough to get a good one in.  So they let it stay out for the night.  Friday morning the doc came in and they decided to cut it open to get all the crap out.  So they took him back, gave him some gas, and cut his little bum open.  He had a cut an inch long and 2 inches deep.  While in surgery they put 2 ivs in.  One in each hand so if one collapsed they would have the other one.  He didn't like that when he came to and kept crying to take it out.  He did really good coming out and the rest of the day.  Saturday morning they changed the packing.  He didn't really like it but got over it quick.  It was a rough day.  Trying to keep an active 2 year old in a hospital room..yea.  Luckily we were able to hang out down on these stairs he loved.  He could only go to that end of the hospital he couldn't be around any other people.  Saturday night they tried to flush one of the IVs and something had happened that it wasn't working.  So they pulled it.  That night at 10 they hooked him.  We watched it and everything looked fine.  He pulled the cord to hard and it disconnected the iv to the drip thing so Brennen went to plug it in and noticed his arm was all swollen.  The medicine was running into his arm instead of his veins.  So they had to pull that iv and quickly get heat on his arm.  Around 11:30 they had to try and get another IV in him. They tried three times; one in each foot and one more in his arm but couldn't get it to go.  So they got oral vanco from Cedar and switched him to oral.  Today they came in at 9:00, changed the packing and told us we got to go home! I told them last night if we didnt' get to go hom on Monday they may see the extremely impatient side of me..with my child.  So they were probably just as relieved as we were that we got to go home! Anyways, we're home! He has to go in for the next few mornings to get the packing changed and has to take vanco three times a day for probably 5 more days.  He really hasn't been in pain.  He just hates when they change the packing and stick him with needles.  
Dav cruisin the halls with dad, grandma and grandpa.Thank heavens there wasn't any patients down this end of the hall and we could go for walks down there.  He loved to play on these stairs.  Whenever he was getting anxious, we went for a walk to go up and down the stairs.


I'm not going to lie, this was the best part of the day:) 
Thank Heavens for Grandma and Grandpa Orton's portable DVD player.
It saved his life and my sanity.  He watch Homeward Bound and Savage
Sam what seemed to be 100 times over and over.
Eating a popsicle and watching tv.
Friday morning after surgery. 
Sleeping after surgery
Dav shooting the nurses.  It was pretty funny.  This particular one
he shot at her and then yelled, "Wady, you dead"  It was hilarious.
Not that he didn't love them, he just thought he'd try and get back
at them for all the needle pricks.
He saw the nurses coming and tried to hide from them.
He was playing peek-a-boo with Bos.  Earlier he was using the
curtains for starting gates.  He pretended he was a race horse
and flew out of the gates yelling, "An der off"
Little does he know...he's about to go to surgery.
The new picture stance he has been working on.  Grandma was helping
him hold it for the camera.  We played alot of football and baseball.
He was so excited when Boston came to visit.  He put his arm
around him and kept saying, "Bos, you my bud?" He loves Boston.
His arm swollen from the IV leak.
Overall, Dav was a total trooper.  He was pretty funny and entertaining while he was in there.  It was sad to see him get poked so many times but you have to do what ya have to do.  He was impossible to get to hold still and stop moving while they were doing it.  The nurses were so great and he learned to like them:) We are super glad to be home.  I can't imagine these poor kids and parents who have to spend alot of time in a hospital.  Now if we could just get rid of this crap we'd be doing great!

7 comments:

tammylozano said...

Poor Dav hope he gets feelin better it is so tuff seein your kid go through something like this GOOD LUCK!!!

Katie Snedeger said...

Seriously Keish I can't even imagine!! You are one tough cookie!! Poor Dav my heart goes out to him!! What a little trooper he looks so happy and content there. I hope things get better and soon!!

Danielle said...

I my heck, I feel so bad for the little guy! I don't know how you guys survived it! I hope he gets feeling better and doesn't have any more problems!
It's way sad, but the pictures are very cute:)

Melissa said...

Dude Kiesh, that stinks. Hopefully he gets better soon and life can go back to normal, but he sure does look cute in the pictures.

Matt & Nanette Hirschi said...

Poor little guy, it is so sad to see him hooked up to the IV and in the hospital bed. You guys sure are troopers! I hope he gets better quickly and you don't have to go back to the hospital for a really really long time, or ever again for that matter. :)

*rOcKiN rIcHiNs* said...

Sad Times!!! Stay well Orton Fam!

Our Family said...

What an ordeal, glad you guys are back to "normal" whatever that means huh?????